I can remember the time, when I was a child, that my mother gave me a blue lucite bowl filled with salad to eat for my meal.  I must have been around 6 years old.  I told my mom "I'm done".  She said, where is the bowl?  Red faced, I then had to take her to the closet where I was foolish enough to think I could get away with hiding my bowl underneath a stack of blankets. I never had a clue my mother would discover my dirty deed! I can remember that I had to then finish eating my salad before I would be allowed to go out and play!!

Too many mothers give their power away by asking the child what they want to eat.  How does a child know the difference between what's healthy and what's unhealthy?  I believe that parents have the responsibility to teach good health to their children so that they grow up with a strong, healthy foundation.  First the parents have to learn about good health themselves.

I don't know quite remember when my love and appreciation for salads began, but I believe that it is because I was trained as a child to eat what was healthy for me, or I had to come back to the table (to eat the same food) when I was REALLY hungry.  Salads are one of my very favorite meals! I generally eat a variety of two salads a day with whatever else I fix. 

I love making up varieties of salads.  Watercress salad, Cabbage Salad, Escarole Salad, Dandelion Salad, Seaweed Salads, and so on.

Below is a picture of today's lunch: Dandelion-Cilantro Salad, Sliced Tomatoes, olives and Daiya Cheese (non-dairy) with Thousand Island Dressing and crackers.  For the dressing I just mixed together  Vegenaise, ketchup and lemon juice.


0 comments:

Post a Comment