While juicing today it occurred to to me to write this blog because so many of us take our energy for granted, until there are days when the supply seems exhausted.  Unfortunately, if we don't heed this signal, more and more days begin to show up where energy is depleted.  As children there is an unlimited amount of energy, yet as we grow older, that storehouse gets depleted.

Intuitively, when I get a day or two like this, I know that my body is giving me a signal to detox. I could rationalize and make excuses by telling myself that I've been working too much and too hard, or that life at this time is too stressful.  We all have spurts of varying indicators that gives us messages to slow down and relax, but we don't always listen.  If we take the time to listen to our bodies, it is our best guide to a healthy quality of life.

I'm convinced that learning to nurture ourselves is one of the hardest lessons that many of us are in the process of learning.  I find that when I do a detox, I am nurturing myself.  My goal is to take the best possible care of myself and ward off sickness or disease.  I would rather make my OWN car payments instead of helping to make car payments for the doctor.


I went shopping today at Farmer's Market in Santa Monica (I have the farmer pick out the watermelons and guarantee that they are sweet or they will replace them for me) and bought 4 beautiful, very large watermelons for a juice fast for the next few days.  I cut up the watermelon and put sections of the melon in the Vitamix blender.  (You do not need to have a special kind of blender)   Whenever I get hungry, I'll cut a section of the watermelon and blend it and drink it.


I've also prepared for when I break the juice fast.  I may prepare other fruit juices afterwards, or if the spirit moves me, I'll gradually start back eating fruits.  The important thing about fasting is that when the fast is over, there should be a gradual starting of solid foods, such as fruits for 1-2 days and then vegetables and slowly introduce simple foods back into the diet.

I know from my past experiences with watermelon fasting, that after a few days a relaxed and steady energy is back with me, and my body is thanking me!

I'll keep you posted about how I am feeling on this detox.

1 comments:

paulanelson said...

gonna jump on this watermelon wagon and join you Marilyn....a watermelon party...thank you for sharing with me...

xoxoxo,
paula joyce

Post a Comment